JPMorgan Chase Commercial Bank Risk - Corporate Client Banking, Sr Underwriter, VP in New York, New York
The position is Senior Underwriter within the Corporate Client Banking Group, which focuses on general industrial companies. These companies are active users of traditional corporate banking services and investment banking products. The work environment is dynamic and fast-paced, a reflection of the industry and clients the team supports.
The Senior Underwriter is the primary credit risk manager for a portfolio of corporate banking clients and transactions. In this capacity, the Senior Underwriter works in partnership with coverage banking officers, syndications, and other partners to risk grade borrowers, analyze and approve credit requests, structure credit facilities, and negotiate credit agreements and other loan documentation. The Senior Underwriter is also responsible for on-going monitoring and risk management of an assigned portfolio of credit clients.
To be successful, this individual needs a broad and deep understanding of the business, financial, competitive, and industry risks faced by clients in the assigned portfolio; expertise in structuring commercial loan transactions and managing all types of credit risk; and a comprehensive knowledge of corporate finance principles.
The majority of this portfolio is located in Northeast. Travel will be required from time to time.
- Risk Assessment
· Identify the key risk factors associated with clients, transactions, and industry sub-sectors across an assigned portfolio
· Develop and articulate a dynamic, forward-looking risk assessment of client companies, transactions, competitive threats, and industry and other factors
· Lead and/or participate in client due diligence and transaction negotiations
· Attend client, bank, and other meetings to develop a thorough understanding of client companies, management teams, and industry sectors
· Use financial models to develop a forward-looking credit risk assessment based on key value drivers and sensitized assumptions
· Recommend and approve appropriate credit structures relative to risk assessment and policy considerations
- Credit Approval Process
· Apply corporate finance and accounting expertise to develop appropriate financing structures
· Prepare credit approval materials, ensure all credit risk policies are followed, and present and recommend credits for approval at the appropriate level
· Analyze and negotiate financing terms and conditions as part of a deal team
· Review and negotiate legal documentation and coordinate with counsel to ensure terms are appropriate and consistent with credit approval
- Portfolio Management
· Provide a well-researched and thoughtful risk assessment of each assigned client on an ongoing basis
· Ensure risk ratings are accurate and reflect a current forward-looking view of the client
· Provide early identification and proactive management of deteriorating credits and other problem situations
· Analyze, prepare, and present for approval all required waivers, amendments, and extensions
· Prepare and present semi-annual portfolio review material to senior management
· Work with bank examiners and internal credit reviewers to validate credit quality and integrity of the credit process, and comply with regulatory and policy requirements
· Work closely with Credit Support Specialists to ensure accuracy of credit system data
· Assist Credit Risk Executive in training and developing junior underwriters
Superior credit, corporate finance, negotiation, loan documentation, and financial modeling skills
Strong interpersonal and communication skills
Independently productive; able to operate at a highly effective level with minimal day-to-day managerial direction
Completion of a major corporate or investment bank credit training program, or equivalent experience, and a thorough understanding of bank credit policies and procedures
Minimum of 7 years of corporate or investment banking lending experience including extensive credit, structuring, and marketing.
BA/BS degree is required, MBA and/or CFA is preferred
JPMorgan Chase is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.